It was an interesting qualifying today in Spa, however the results were pretty predictable with Ferrari taking P1 and P2. Here is the rundown;
- Hamilton surprised everyone by crashing into the wall in FP3, it was driver error with Hamilton hitting the curb and loosing control. The Mercedes garage jumped into action and despite the car looking like it had a lot of damage, Hamilton was ready for qualifying.
- Minutes before Q1 there was commotion down at Leclerc’s garage with Ferrari engineers blocking the cameras view. The FIA were in attendance and from what we could see the nose was removed. This issue did not seem to affect Leclercs peformance however.
- Verstappen led Q1, it was expected he would put in a very strong first lap but had an issue straight away. He had been complaining recently of minor engine issues and who knows if this will be a future problem for Verstappen.
- Albon put in a good time for Q1, he’s the 6th driver from Toro Rosso to be promoted to Redbull and he is also the least experienced. This didn’t stop him from coming 5th in Q1.
- Leclerc came 1st, Vettel 2nd and Verstappen 3rd.
- Not making it into Q2 was Gasly, Sainz, Kvyat, Russel, and Kubica.
- Leclerc has been out performing Vettel this weekend, he managed to again bag P1 in Q2.
- Vettel came in with P2.
- Hamilton didn’t seem to have any issues after his crash in practise and he came in P3.
- Out in Q2 was Grosjean, Norris, Stroll, Albon and Giovinazzi.
- This makes 6 races in a row that Leclerc has out-qualified Vettel, he managed to again put in the fastest lap and finished in pole position.
- Vettel lost a lot of time in the middle sector so missed out on pole and came in at P2.
- Hamilton will be 3rd on the grid in tomorrows race.
So in all a very good qualifying for Ferrari with a front-row lockout!
Crash in Formula 2
Unfortunately the Formula 2 race was cut short by a horrible crash involving Hubert an Correa. From the footage it looks like Correa lost the rear going into Raddion and Hubert hit him, the rear was torn off and Correa flipped.
It looked like a terrible crash, one of the worst I have seen so hopefully both drivers will be okay. A picture shared shows a lot of ambulances attanding the scene.
Minutos atras… varias ambulancias trabajando en el sector del accidente donde #Hubert y #Correa se llevaron la peor parte. #F2xFOX— 🏁 Vivo F1 (@vivof1) August 31, 2019
Segun @GP1FOXSPORTS reporta desde el circuito dice que los pilotos están cocientes…. esperemos! pic.twitter.com/E1n2OmlRxA
The FIA have now confirmed Anthoine Hubert has passed away due to the F2 crash at Spa, it’s a tragic loss to the sport. RIP.